How to use video outreach to get the meeting with Chris Ortolano
The Sales Conversation
This episode features Chris Ortolano, a sales workflow consultant based in Portland, Oregon. He provides an outside perspective to help organizations address their weaker elements to accelerate their revenue cycle. He is a leader of his firm, Outbound Edge, and will speak about the power of video in sales outreach and how to drive buyer engagement.
[1:30] How Chris became focused on helping sellers use video to connect with potential buyers
- Manages an online community of sales and marketing professionals called salesstack.io:
- Met people who work at Vidyard who introduced him to a software tool called GoVideo.
- Focuses on producing crisp, compelling, and clear messages to engage with buyers.
[2:26] Why should sellers be using video as an outreach tool?
- The way that we engage with buyers is changing:
- We now have the ability to tell a story through a visual medium.
- Creates a more compelling and lasting message.
[3:25] What are the barriers that get in the way of individual sellers taking advantage of the medium of video?
- You need to practice.
- Set aside 30 minutes to learn and practice your script for clear delivery in the message that you are communicating with your viewers.
- Psychological confidence:
- 2 kinds of videos in sales:
- Video conferencing.
- Chris uses a voiceover narrative approach:
- His videos are not about him, making the focus on helping his prospect solve their problem.
- Finding your voice:
- Takes practice.
- Think like your buyer:
- The decisions that they make, how they measure their decisions, and what their goals are.
- Layer your message into their experience.
- Provides a more relevant and engaging way to suggest that you want to meet with them and pursue a more in-depth conversation.
- Take advantage of the visual guide on salesstack.io where you can walk through 7 steps so that you can practice before you record and send your video.
[6:21] Success stories of Chris and using video
- Uses video selling with social selling:
- Connects with peers on Linkedin.
- Makes videos for the CEOs of the connections that he makes on Linkedin.
- Video can increase the acceleration with which you can set meetings.
[7:23] How can sellers prepare to do video outreach? What should their content structure look like?
- Uses 3 step approach to an account plan:
- Set the meeting.
- Move the needle.
- Get everyone on the bus.
[12:17] How to leverage video for outreach
- Manage your time.
- Do your research.
- Use phrase when reaching out “I noticed that…”
- Always add value with your video that exposes something about the market that your prospect might not understand.
[14:35] After you send the prospecting video, if the recipient does not respond, do you send another video?
- Resend that same video.
[15:26] Technology blockers that might prevent prospects from viewing your video?
- Use a video solution that allows you to embed that video as a thumbnail into the body of an email.
- Vidyard GoVideo
[16:50] How to personalize your video for different prospects
- Called a “Selfie”:
- Personalized for each prospect.
- Take a multi-tab screencast approach.
- If you put time and energy into thinking about your buyer you’ll get a better deal, as well as learn to be a better sales consultant as well.
[17:48] Multitab screencast approach
- Reference your buyer:
- Start with their account.
- Reflect on what you see in their business model.
- Suggest a problem that they have that you can solve.
- Switch between their account/your account:
- Move from the current state to their future state.
- Sales assets online:
- Stories in Focus Library
- Interview video blog
- 3 guides at SalesStack.io:
- For people getting started.
- Learn how to do the selling model.
- Do it on a consistent basis.
- Turn around and teach someone how to do it.
- When you teach something, you are raising your level of skill because you can summarize, engage, and look for things.
- Changes the way you view your own process.
- Connect with Chris on LinkedIn
- Follow Chris on Twitter
- Visit Chris’ Web site – Outbound Edge
- Call Camp – Unlocking the Power of Video in Sales Outreach
- Get more selling done!
- Engage with Video Selling: Part 1
- Stories in Focus Contest
- How to use video in your sales cadence
For More Great Content
I would appreciate it if you would subscribe, rate, and review this show at Apple Podcasts. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will help me promote the show to others who will benefit.
Sound editing and show notes produced by – ChirpSound